Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Charity Banner Project by Janelle K. Burba

I was blessed recently with the opportunity to be part of a fundraiser that our local Scrapbook Store was heading up for a local women’s shelter I was excited for the chance to bling up my assigned banner piece with my Art Glitter. I know it may sound silly but I get very happy adding the shiny stuff to just about everything….the more the better. Something as simple as a piece of cardboard cut into triangle became a beautiful piece of art for all to enjoy in our community.


My list of supplies for the banner project:
Gala Glitz, Black Art Glitter
Gala Glitz, Red Art Glitter

Ultrafine Opaque Black #79, Art Glitter
Ultrafine Opaque Yellow #66, Art Glitter
Ultrafine Metal Tip, Art Glitter
Designer Dries Clear Adhesive, Art Glitter
3D Foam Squares, Scrapbook Adhesives
3 in 1 Advanced Craft Glue, Beacon’s
Lost and Found Collection, My Mind’s Eye
Lost and Found Embellishments, My Mind’s Eye
Assorted red beads, wire, boa and ribbon/tulle, Joanne Fabrics
Brace closer, (not sure what brand name ~ sorry)
Frame, Unique Pages
Black Eyelets/brads, American Tag Co.
Tim Holtz Distressed inks, Barn Door, Black Soot
Template for mannequin came from milkwood.com


The project started with a simple re-purposed piece of cardboard. The pattered paper, inked with a matching color, was cut to fit the banner template. I took one side and used the “purple monster” to punch holes in top for eyelets and holes in one side to add wire and beads. I strung the beads down the sides and added the black eyelets at the top. The chipboard pieces had to have maximum “glitterage” so I went at it! This would have been nearly impossible if not for the use of the metal tip. I really love that little thing! The red gala glitz is amazing! The mannequin turned out better than I expected and the boa added the needed feminine touch.


The opposite side of the banner was the coordinating patterned paper dressed up with black glitter and black gala glitz. The chipboard clock turned out nicely with intricate detail again making all the difference. I took the paper from the first side and created a corset type (two simple triangles butted together) fastener on the lower section of the banner. The “T” was covered with the Black Gala Glitz. For my project, my section was the “T” in ARTSY!


Attention to detail for a project like this is significant. One should always be aware of the audience that will be enjoying the creation. For the banner, both sides will be viewed by the public, so I was sure to add the glitter to both sides. The finishing touch was the hanging beads at the point of the banner. I think it turned out nicely. I should mention that the photograph is of me and my friend Janice. She is an amazing artist that inspires me daily. I hope you enjoy this project and try making a banner for your home. It was tons of fun. J

FYI ~ Do you know that using a coffee filter is the best non-static product you can use with your glitter? Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! love the tip about using coffee filters, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! Love all the detail. Can't decide which side I like best :)

    Had no idea about the coffee filters -- maybe if I had known sooner, my husband wouldn't have banned glitter from the house....
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete