Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Glittered Bottle Cap Pendant – By Lori Mendenhall

Whenever a customer notices that some of my pendants are made from bottle caps they think it’s really clever and cute! Well, I did not come up with the idea of making bottle cap pendants, but I do have my own little spin on them and this is what I’d like to share with you today.

My little secret is GLITTER! Notice how the ridges of the bottle cap are accented with gorgeous glitter? I also put a rim of the sparkly stuff around the edge of my artwork. This little accent makes all the difference in the world.



Here’s how to make this piece:

1. Use a paper punch to cut out a 1” circle of black cardstock. If you plan to do more than a few bottle caps I would definitely advise investing in a 1” punch – it’s a big timesaver and you get a perfect result each time.

2. Cut out a pair of lips from a piece of cardstock. These lips just happened to be the perfect size but I am sure you can find birds, hearts, watch faces, and many other things that would work fine too. Glue the lips onto the black paper circle.  Coat both sides of the artwork with a sealant such as Mod Podge. Dry thoroughly.

3. When your cardstock is dry, place it in the bottle cap. Using Designer Dries Clear adhesive,  draw a rim around the artwork and also add a dab to each ridge of the cap. Sprinkle the Art Glitter glitter onto the glue and shake off the excess.  I like an opaque glitter for this look, here I’ve used Art Glitter’s Eclipse Ultrafine Opaque Hologram, #130. I’d also recommend using the Ultrafine Metal Tip. Dry thoroughly. This is extremely important, as resin and moisture don’t play well together.

4. Fill the bottle cap with resin. For this project I used Easy Cast casting epoxy resin. I like it because it’s got UV protectant so it won’t yellow – and it’s readily available from the craft store. Use the coupon they frequently send out and the price is very reasonable too.  Let cure overnight until hard.

5. Drill a hole. I find it easiest to use an awl to start the hole. Then I drill through the resin and partially through the cap. Then I turn it over and use the awl and hammer to finish the hole from the backside. Wire wrap a bail, or you can simply use a jump ring. You could also use a glue-on bail instead.


Note, I received free product in exchange for this article. However, I’ve been using Art Glitter products for years and love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment