Friday, October 21, 2011

Glow in the Dark Glittered Earrings by Emily M. Miller

I have been wanting to glitter these plain earrings with Art Glitter's #143 Glow in the Dark Glitter and I finally did it! I was worried about the detail on the teeth not showing, then it dawned on me. All I had to do was wipe away the glitter around the teeth before it dried. Which I accomplished with the glue tip pin.


I had wanted to take a photo of them with someone wearing them, but it was impossible. Have you ever tried to take a photo of something in the dark? The whole 'no light' thing is a definite hindrance! So this is the best I could get, there's still a little light, hence the shadow. But I promise the glitter really does glow in the dark!

The photo below shows how they looked before, very plain, but a nice white background for the glitter. Which is important for our Glow In The Dark glitter. If you have a transparent or very dark surface you want to glow use our Designer Dries White adhesive. This will give you a good solid white background for glowing results!


This surface resisted the glue quite a bit so I prepared it by cleaning with Rubbing Alcohol first, then I gave it a quick coat of glue and let it dry. Next, I painted on another layer of glue and glittered it. This method usually works pretty well. Even if you find your 'primer' layer of glue resists a little, it will hold with the second coat. If your surface is still resistant, you can rough it up with sandpaper, that usually does the trick!


Here's how they look in normal light. I love the texture with just a hint of twinkle! Really fun. Don't forget that you have to expose Glow in the Dark materials to a strong light source for them to work. We had a debate about using natural light vs. light bulb so I googled it, didn't find an answer. But did find out that the study of phosphorescent materials led to the discovery of radioactivity in 1896. Learn something new every day with google!

Are you using any glitter on a costume this year? Sometimes I just dust myself with an ultrafine transparent glitter for a nice overall shimmer. Hope you have a sparkling and safe night!

No comments:

Post a Comment