Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year's Banner Card by Connie K

Happy New Year 2011!

I never got around to making Christmas cards this year...(gasp) so I sent out store bought ones. I like to think they were nice and everyone enjoyed them, but I was feeling a little guilty about it, I even had a couple of emails saying we really look forward to your cards every year....now I was really feeling bad.

I have a friend who sends out her cards after Christmas...she says it gives the recipient time to enjoy and read them after the rush... hmmmmm, I think it’s a good idea. So, I have decided to send out New Years Cards...they are more like a little one piece banner....so festive...


I am mailing them in those padded mylar envelopes that are metallic...I picked some up at the Container Store..but they are available everywhere...

The banner piece itself is approximately 10 X 7 inches...I used what I had on hand to make this. No trip to the store was required other than for the envelopes..

I used one of the vintage images I have collected. The one used in this project came from the Graphics Fairy...If I have an original, I always make copies and use those.

Supplies I used for this included the following items:
• Art Glitter in the following colors:
#79 black ultrafine opaque
#89 martini ultrafine transparent
#32 true blue ultrafine opaque
#291 fire engine ultrafine opaque
#708 ramosa microfine transparent
#158 mellow yellow ultrafine transparent
#611 vintage glass glitter antique silver
Art Glitter designer dries clear adhesive
• Art Glitter metal tip

• chip board 10X7 inches
• cardstock
• pattern paper to match vintage image
• scraps for the pleated flowers
• crepe paper (flowers)
• 6 buttons
• linen string
• rayon ribbon
• 1/4 yard beaded trim
• jute webbing
• 18 inches wire
• maya road chipboard stars
• Tim Holz memo pins

First, I cut the banner piece out of chip board and covered this with the cardstock. The patterned paper is layered over this foundation piece, I just trimmed 1/4 inch around the entire perimeter and then adhered it with a glue stick. I also layered a piece of jute webbing...I found this in the upholstery supply store...I am not sure what my original intention was for this..but it works on this...this will need to adhered with a strong liquid adhesive.


Once these are all assembled, I top stitched around the perimeter on top of the patterned paper about three times on my machine...it was a snap...I stitch on paper all the time...I love the extra dimension it gives a project...it doesn’t have to perfect...so no worries if you aren’t an expert seamstress...


Adhere the glass trim to the back side of the banner piece...after you have finished stitching...

The vintage postcard is then adhered to the top with foam tape. I glittered around the edges using the art glitter metal tip and designer dries clear adhesive with the vintage glass glitter...I just can’t get enough of this...


The snowman’s hat, buttons and the little boys shoes glittered with #79 black. For the snow #89 martini applied again with the designer dries clear adhesive...I actually mixed the black (#79) with equal parts of #32 (true blue) together to get the right color for the little boys clothing...I love the results...using the metal tip on the adhesive. I mixed #291 (fire engine) and #158 (mellow yellow) together for the hat and stocking and used just the fire engine red on the scarf...I am really pleased with the results of mixing some of my own colors....

I then made some flowers to adorn the lower part of the banner with some scraps...and also crepe paper...Thread the buttons with linen thread and adhere to the centers.


The little stars come from Maya Road...they have great chipboard pieces...I am a big fan ...these were glittered with the same black and blue mixture I created for the boys clothing ...and also with the vintage glass glitter in antique silver...I did use one big star that I adhered to a memo pin...


Finally punch two holes in the upper corners & thread wire through them....I strung a big crystal on the wire at the top...add a bow made with the crinkled rayon....on the right side...ta dah...you are finished!


Wouldn’t this be fun mail to receive....I wrote a little note on the backside...and signed my name...it is like a little piece of art!

1 comment:

  1. It is beautiful and I am sure they will forgive you for the store bought Christmas cards when they get one of these! Just georgous!

    ReplyDelete