Monday, March 7, 2011

Altered Clipboard by Candy Spiegel

Sometimes I am a little behind the trends.
I have wanted to make an altered clipboard for a while, but never seemed to find the right products to forge ahead.
Then, I discovered a 6”x9”clipboard at Staples for $1. Unable to pass up such a deal, I bought it and decided to create something just for me – something that could hang in my craft room and inspire me.


I started by covering the clipboard in papers from Basic Grey.
Then, I went around the edges with a Ranger Paint Dabber. I added a bit of paint to the papers, too, to help blend the entire project together. And, I painted the flower in the same color. The flower is one of Wendy Vecchi’s Studio 490 Art Parts. If you’ve never worked with them, they are a composite material that is stiff, like the clipboard, but take inks and paints really well.
While the paint was drying, I added ribbons. I attached them with Designer Dries Clear adhesive.


At the bottom, I used a Crop-A-Dile to punch holes in the clipboard and then added eyelets We R Memory Keepers. I then attached Baubles by Tim Holtz with a jump ring.
I stamped the saying, by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous, using Ranger Archival Ink in Coffee. Then, for an added touch, I put three tiny dots of Designer Dries Clear on the top and bottom and added Ultrafine Transparent Glitter in 162 Just Peachy. It’s best to use the Ultrafine Metal Tip when applying such small amounts of glue to keep everything neat and clean.


I used the same glitter, adhesive and tip to add details to the petals of the flowers. For the center, I created a bit of a spiral pattern with Designer Dries Clear and added Microfine Opaque Glitter in 511 Graphite. I then filled in the gaps with Ultrafine Transparent Glitter in 96 Blue Water. Because it is transparent, you can see the pink color from the flower underneath, so the glitter takes on an almost yellow color.
Then, came my favorite part – the leaves. I cut these out with the Tim Holtz Sizzix Bigz Die using green cardstock. I then applied a thin coat of Designer Dries Clear adhesive (I used my finger to spread it around) and then covered it with Fine Vintage Glass Glitter in 606 Misty Green. I absolutely love the texture and sparkle this look created.
I adhered the leaves with Designer Dries Clear. Because the layers of ribbon and leaves created an uneven surface, I used Pop Up Glue Dots to attach the flower.
A leftover piece of ribbon tied to the top and this project is ready to hang.

2 comments:

  1. I love your clipboard, I haven't made one yet and you have inspired me to give it a try! I really like how all the patterns co-ordinate so well and the dangles at the bottom. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dangles at the bottom! This is such a cute idea, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete