Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Glitter Frog Collage by Laura Fraedrich

This project is my favorite glitter project I have done so far. Not only do I love making collages (I save every piece of paper and magazine picture I can get my hands on), I also loved doing the technique of ‘painting’ with glitter like I did here. I think you will love it too when you give it a try. Here’s how:

Supplies needed:

Assorted Glitter from Art Glitter Institute
Diamond Glaze (available from Judikins.com)
Designer Dries Clear Adhesive by Art Glitter Institute
Assorted art papers and/or images from magazines
7”x 11” piece of mat board
Matte medium
1” foam brush

First, lay out your magazine images and art papers on the piece of mat board the way you want them in your collage. You can cut them into smaller pieces with scissors or tear them for rougher edges. Once you are satisfied with your layout, start adhering them to the mat board using the matte medium and the foam brush. Make sure you coat the entire piece of paper with the medium, and after you lay it down on the board brush another layer of medium on top. You should overlap the pieces of paper slightly and make sure all of the mat board is covered and there is no board showing through. Let the collage dry thoroughly.

Next, choose the areas on your collage that you want to ‘paint’ over with glitter. In mine, I chose the frog and a couple of flowers. Choose glitter colors that match the color of the image you will be applying glitter over. Choose your first color and apply Designer Dries Clear adhesive over the entire area that you want that particular color of glitter to go on. Sprinkle the glitter over the wet glue and tap off the excess. Let dry for a few minutes. Repeat this process with the rest of the colors of glitter you want to apply until your image is completely ‘painted’.

To add some extra shine and texture, I chose a few leaves here and there and applied Diamond Glaze to them. Once it dries it looks raised and glossy and made the leaves look more realistic. You can choose to do the same to your collage, or add other elements that work for yours.

I hope you have as much fun with this project as I did! I would love to see what you came up with. Feel free to email me pictures to thepeculiarpalette@cox.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment