Friday, March 9, 2012

Button Bonsai by Emma McDonald


I simply adore buttons!  They just make me smile!  And one day I had a random thought, “What would a button tree look like?”  And immediately, I answered myself and blurted out, “A Bonsai!”  So naturally -my Button Bonsai will also be blossomed with some BLING!

Materials used:
-Art Glitter: SASSY Pee Wee Kit
-Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
-condiment cups
-buttons

-canvas and frame
-acrylic paint: white
-paintbrushes

-airbrush
-airbrush paint: peach, white, black

-lace

-bonsai stencil
-painters tape


After I painted the gold (thrift store find) frame- white, to add a touch of sparkle in the corners, I used the Designer Dries Clear Adhesive and sprinkled the #189- Pearl, into the crevices.


I continued using the adhesive to lightly brush the tops of the buttons, dusting them with the remaining glitter colors from the SASSY, Pee Wee Kit. (I find that using the condiment cups- to catch the glitter, makes transferring unused glitter back to their containers, a cinch!)


So after I shook off the excess glitter from each button, I used a straight pin to unclog any button holes that formed.  Then I set them aside to dry.


I also love airbrushing because it’s fast and you can create a graphic-like look with the usage of stencils.  I made my own stencil by drawing a bonsai tree onto poster board and cutting it out with a craft knife.  But first, I used an airbrush-to base coat the canvas with peach paint.  Then I wrapped it with lace and airbrushed over it with white.  “Taa-daa!”  Your canvas will instantly look like lacey wallpaper!


I then taped the bonsai stencil onto the canvas and airbrushed over it with black.  I carefully removed the stencil and let it dry.


So now I need to dress my naked tree with some Bling-y Buttons!  I used the Designer Dries Clear Adhesive to paste them sporadically onto the canvas.  This glue is great! - It has industrial strength, yet remains flexible- which is a perfect combination when gluing items onto canvas.  Now all is left -is assembling the canvas to the frame and deciding where I will hang this playful and dazzling piece!  Hope you have a blast creating your very own blingy-button masterpiece!



4 comments:

  1. Seriously, I'm the first to comment on this fabulous project!? I love this idea! Ok, I'm a bit of a button addict, but the idea of the bonzai and button project is fab! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this! Finally a chance to use the buttons I bought years ago from S&S Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! It's great! What more can I say?

    ReplyDelete