Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Midsummer Nights Silhouette Crown by Lisa Kettell
Art Glitter: Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
Art Glitter: Ultrafine Opaque Glitter #71 White Gold
Art Glitter: Ultrafine Opaque Glitter#60 Sahara Opaque
Art Glitter: Vintage Fine Glass Glitter #611 Antique Silver Art Glitter, #612 Golden Glow
Silhouette Image (sized to 8 inch by 10 inch)
Poster board or sturdy card stock
Crepe Paper Streamers: Grey and Cream
Hot Glue and Hot Glue Sticks
Other: Xacto knife, Paint Brush, Small Cup, Ribbons, Trims, Tinsel Chenille Stem, Sequins, Pearls, embellishments
1. Cut out Silhouette image and glue to poster board using glue stick. Cut out the silhouette outline using scissors. Try using an xacto knife to cut out the more intricate details.
2. Where there is an opening in the silhouette attach vellum paper to it on the reverse side of the crown (the behind the front) using a glue stick.
3. Paper pleat gray crepe paper and hot glue to bottom of the crown, layer with Dresden and trims, ribbons, sequins, and other embellishments.
4. Next paper pleat the cream crepe paper, then arch it and hot glue to top center of the silhouette or to the top of any silhouette that you use.
5. Embellish the crown with tinsel chenille stems, more Dresden, pearls, and embellishments of choice.
6. In a small cup sprinkle some #611 antique silver and #612 golden glow glitter, mix with end of paintbrush or craft stick, set aside. Now coat the un-embellished part of the silhouette with designer dries clear adhesive, one section at a time, coat with the glitter mix, repeat until crown is covered, let dry, shake off excess.
7. In another small cup sprinkle some #71 white gold and #60 Sahara opaque glitter, mix with end of paintbrush or craft stick, set aside. With designer dries clear adhesive, draw a border around the crown, sprinkle with this mix, let dry and shake off the excess.
8. Hot glue 4 strands of ribbon to corners of crown (2 strands at each corner), now you are ready to wear your crown and become a Midsummer Queen.
-Save excess glitter or glitter mixes in a glass salt-shaker for easy re-use.
-Try different color glitters.
-Create glitter covered silhouette paper dolls for hanging off your favorite spot.