Monday, February 28, 2011

My little tin can by Connie K.

I love thrifting... and always find something that I can alter and use... plus add some glitter, that is where the real magic happens!


I found this little tin bucket a few days ago and knew immediately what I wanted to do with it. For my collection of wooden rulers, this would be a great way to display them. I should have taken a before photo... but in the excitement of getting started I forgot... let’s just say it started out as an ugly duckling!

Get out the spray paint for this... first spray the whole piece with turquoise (my favorite)...let it dry overnight. I then covered it with paper... both vintage dictionary paper and some 7 gypsies that I had in my stash. I used matte multi-medium to adhere and then sealed everything. Once it was dry I applied the color using watercolor crayons... which I love. It is a fun way to add color in layers.


I cut hearts in two sizes out of chipboard using my accucut and a sizzix die... These were both covered with papers... a print on the larger one and vintage dictionary on the smaller one that is on top. Once the paper was adhered, layer the smaller heart on top of the larger piece, I used my water color crayons to add some color again. Once this element is finished, adhere it to the tin can with a glue gun.

I outlined the edges of the hearts with Art Glitter Ultrafine Pearlescent glitter in Florida Orange ...using the Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive, and also on the polka dots that I painted on the papers... using the watercolor crayons. Next I added the words follow your heart using some letter stickers on the hearts.


Using the Art Glitter Vintage Glass Glitter in Ultramarine... around the edges and also on the handle using the Art Glitter Dries Clear Adhesive finishes it off nicely.

Here are the things you will need to make your own little tin can:
Art Glitter Ultrafine Glitter #177 Florida Orange
Art Glitter Fine Vintage Glass Glitter #604 Ultramarine
Art Glitter Designers Dry Clear Adhesive
spray paint... I used valspar..lowes
metal container... thrift store
vintage dictionary paper... thrift store
7 gypsies multi-medium matte
chip board... scraps
letter stickers... girls paperie
water color crayons... caran d’arche


This is my last post for Art Glitter... I have really enjoyed sharing some of my ideas with you and of course playing with glitter!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for one more great thrifting idea! I absolutely love your ruler collection too!

    ReplyDelete