Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Red, White and Blue Glitter Shoes by Laura Drahozal

Every year, the women in my family go to the Salute to America Concert and Fireworks at The Henry Ford in Michigan. It is a great family event. Everyone packs a succulent picnic, which we eat on the lawn as we listen to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. As twilight slips into evening, we can hear The 1812 Overture begin. At the appropriate moment, the cannons are shot and the fireworks start. Part of the fun of this event is all of the attendees trying to out-red, white and blue each other. This year, I am convinced that I have it nailed--Art Glitter will help put me over the top with my glittering patriotic shoes. The best part? They were really fun to create. They took just a little patience, but weren't difficult. Let me explain.


First, I washed an old pair of denim colored canvas shoes. As they dried, I collected my supplies: Art Glitter Dries Clear Fabric Adhesive, the Ultrafine Metal Tip, Number 500 Ruby Red Microfine Opaque Glitter, Number 508 Silver Moon Microfine Opaque Glitter, Number 189 Pearl Ultrafine Pearlescent Glitter and Number 140 Canadian Blue (ironic, right?) Ultrafine Opaque Glitter.

When the shoes were dry, I packed them with old newspapers to keep the sides upright. I then attached the fine tip to my Art Glitter Fabric Glue and began with the red stripes. These stripes stretch across the sides of the shoes from the seam by the tongue, along the seam that attached the front to the side and then next to the rubber near the sole. They stop at the seam that connects the heel to the side. I NEVER crossed over a seam. The stripes look difficult, but were actually quite easy, since I just followed along the seams and rubber edges. With the fine tip attachment (a necessity), the fine lines were easy to do, and the glue came out somewhat sparingly--exactly the amount I needed to prevent drips. The stripes didn't need to be straight lines, since they were supposed to represent the stripes on a flag in motion. I did the bottom red stripe first, so that I could follow the pattern. As far as the distance went, I knew that I wanted those white eyelets for the laces to be entirely in the white stripe. Therefore, I put the edges of the red stripes just outside the edges of the eyelets. Of course, I poured the red glitter on these stripes as soon as they were on the shoe. I did all the red stripes first--bottom to top on one side of a shoe, bottom to top on one side of the other shoe and then CAREFULLY bottom to top on the opposite side of the first shoe, and then the second shoe. Then, I had to wait for a little while for the glue to set well.


Once the red stripes were set, I needed to add the white stripes and stars. The problem that I faced was that there was no completely opaque white glitter to use. I needed the opacity because I was using those denim colored shoes. If I had been working on anything but fabric, I could have used Designer Dries White Glue, but I needed that clear fabric glue this time. I solved this problem by using silver as a first layer for my white components. I chose the Microfine Glitter because I knew that it would cover very well and create a nice base for that white. I drew the stars freehand with glue, the same way I learned to make stars in elementary school. Once again, I wasn't worried about perfection, as this project was more fun than precise. I made the stripes by filling the space between the red ones. The first layer was all filled in with the silver. Then, I had to wait for it to dry before I put a layer of white on the top. (Honestly that silver microfine was so gorgeous that I was sorely tempted to just leave it, but it wouldn't fit my color theme.)

When the white was dry, the fine tip was invaluable, as I used it to make blue outlines around the stars. This was a great way to touch up my crazy stars just a little. When the whole thing had dried for several hours, I followed the package instructions on the Dries Clear Fabric Glue to set it. I preheated the oven to 300 and turned it off. Then, I added the shoes on a foil lined cookie sheet and baked for 30 minutes. I washed them in cold water so they would be all ready for me to dazzle my fellow fireworks fans. So, as the picnic is eaten and the music begins, I'll be thinking, "Let the patriotic clothing contest begin!" I know I am ready for the Fourth of July (thanks to Art Glitter) are you?

SUPPLIES:

Art Glitter Dries Clear Fabric Adhesive
Ultrafine Metal Tip
No. 500 Ruby Red Microfine Opaque Glitter
No. 508 Silver Moon Microfine Opaque Glitter
No. 189 Pearl Ultrafine Pearlescent Glitter
No. 140 Canadian Blue Ultrafine Opaque Glitter.

2 comments:

  1. OH MMMM GEee!!!! I love these! Awesomeness x 1,000,000,000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely DIY shoes. I better keep it as a Wallpaper for reminder.

    ReplyDelete