Saturday, May 28, 2011

How to Retire Your Child’s Lovey by Clare Dempsey


My soon to be a Middle-schooler still has a lovey! This poor stuffed animal has been well loved and has been losing stuffing for well over a year. She is so threadbare and care worn that she cannot be mended. While the lovey is needed less and less, my son is still reluctant to part with her. So, I resolved to help him make this decision in a fun and gradual way: a shadow box! Why not part with the lovey gently, by framing it first and hanging the shadow box in his room? Want to give this idea a try? Since a lovey can be so special in your child’s eyes, it deserves a special shadow box. So, pull out your Art Glitter and make your child a shadow box for their own lovey!


I started by cutting a banner with my Sure Cuts A Lot 2 and heat embossing my banner. While my embossing powder was still hot, I pushed my embossed image face down into a tray of Art Glitter 297 Hibscus Ultrafine Transparent Glitter. This added a bit of bling in a subtle way to the banner. Each white banner letter was adhered to a scalloped banner piece, also cut with SCAL2.

If you try to add glitter to an embossed image follow these guidelines: 1) work on a small area only 2) have your glitter poured out ahead of time and close to where you are embossing 3) your embossing powder must be hot from your heat gun when you dip your image in the glitter and 4) use a brighter colored glitter for best results! If you take a look at the 297 Hibiscus color glitter on the Art Glitter site, you will see it is quite bright, but using it with the embossing powder will give it a more subtle look. While I did not get an even effect of glitter, I like the varied look to the glitter/embossed image!


I then used my Art Glitter Ultrafine Metal Tip and Designer Dries Clear glue to place a small dot around the dandelion like flower at the center of these medallions on Bella Blvd: Lovey Dovey: Circle of Love paper. Can you believe it!? I found a line of paper with pink elephants, called Lovey Dovey: for scrapping his lovey’s shaddow box! I used Art Glitter 207 Spring Creek Ultrafine Transparent glitter. I love this teal glitter! I also used the same glue and glitter to embellish the heart medallion from Bella Blvd Lovey Dovey: Cute Cuts.


My son filled in the journaling sticker, also by Bella Blvd, Lovey Dovey: Blurbs and adhered it to the box. The borders is from Lovey Dovey Borders N’ Blocks. The shadow box is from Michaels. Now wish my luck, convincing him the lovey is ready to retire to the shadow box!

Supplies Used:
Art Glitter 297 Hibscus Ultrafine Transparent Glitter
Art Glitter 207 Spring Creek Ultrafine Transparent Glitter
Art Glitter Ultrafine Metal tip
Art Glitter Dries Clear Adhesive
Bella Blvd Lovey Dovey: Cute Cuts, Circle of Love, Borders N’ Blocks Blurbs
Sure Cuts A Lot 2
Close to My Heart Cardstock Hollyhock
Shaddow Box
Ribbon Hobby Lobby

No comments:

Post a Comment