Sunday, May 1, 2011

Glittered Bird Wreath by Candy Spiegel


Lately, I seem to be on a bird kick … anything and everything that includes a bird pulls me to it.

So, when I saw this wreath kit by KaiserCraft, I was immediately drawn to it. And, when I discovered the Vintage Glass Glitter and Gala Glitz by Art Glitter, I knew I had to make this.
I used several techniques to create the wreath. First, I cut apart and lightly sanded the wood pieces from KaiserCraft.

Some of the leaves were sprayed with Adirondack Color Wash. Others were covered in papers from the Marjolaine collection from Basic Grey and then inked in Peeled Paint Distress Ink.

After putting the basic wreath together, I added flowers from Prima and some that I made using the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Tattered Flowers die. I added 600 Indian Summer Fine Vintage Glass Glitter to the centers.

Then, came the best part … the birds!



The blue ones are sprayed with Adirondack Color Wash before applying the glitter, to make sure nothing showed underneath the chunky glitter. I used 911 Lapis Vintage Glass Glitter Shards.


I love, love, love this glitter … It is rich and full of deep blue and purple hues.
For the lighter bird, I used a Paint Dabber to color just the edge in blue and then applied Champagne Gala Glitz.
When zoomed in on the glitter, it looks like this …


Because it is a mix of Vintage Glass Glitter, beads and other glitters, I didn’t worry about any color showing through … I figured there would be enough different size pieces in the glitter to cover and it did. This photo shows it a little more pink than it is … it is more of a tan/cream/gold color, but when light hits it, it reflects in pink. The larger shards almost look like mirrors … It is AMAZING!

The Vintage Glass Glitters provide so much depth — they keep you mesmerized.
By the way, I used Designer Dries Clear adhesive from Art Glitter to adhere everything — papers, glitter, flowers and wood pieces. This is a one-adhesive project!

1 comment:

  1. Those blue birds just pop against the other colors. Great color scheme!

    ReplyDelete