Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Encaustic Glitter Fun by Emily M. Miller

Oh have I been having fun! I just returned from Art Unraveled in Phoenix, Arizona and I learned some new exciting tricks I want to show you! This post covers the Encaustic Rusted Play class I took with an extremely talented instructor Patricia Baldwin Seggebrush, creator of Encaustikits.com. It was pure fun!

For those of you not familiar with Encaustic Painting, please let me quote Wikipedia: "Encaustic painting, also known as hot wax painting, involves using heated beeswax to which colored pigments are added. The liquid/paste is then applied to a surface—usually prepared wood, though canvas and other materials are often used..." Of course I added Art Glitter products!


This example uses a Fantasy Film and Fiber piece I stamped ahead with Barbara's Spring Moth stamp (my favorite stamp!). I started with a nice layer of wax and pushed my image into it while it was still hot. The image was not cut out so it had unfused edges of film and fiber sticking up that I promptly heated with a heat tool to get some interesting colors going. Then I added another layer of wax and heated it again. This time I sprinkled on some Art Glitter Ultrafine Transparent #171 Gelina with my fingers and heated it again til it spread around in a fun way! This piece is only about 5 inches wide, so I think I will use it in a collage piece later.


This guy is pretty straight forward. Again I used a pre-stamped Fantasy Film Dragonfly. This was one that I had molded over a candle flame and it was kind of beat up on it's own, but embedded in the wax it takes on a new life! You'll also notice some squares and stars from our Dazzler line sparkling in the background.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot to take some pure, unfused Fantasy Film and Fiber with me, which would have been MORE fun than I can imagine. So I'll just have to show you those experiments later when I get them made.


This encaustic painting again is just pure fun! I used lace for a stencil for the red wax and smashed in some Vintage Glass Glitter, Glass Beads and Ultrafine Glitter. It was a sort of a kitchen sink concoction I came up with after glittering some adult size wings a few years back. This one is completely unfinished, I may add more wax, may not, but it will definitely become the beginning of another collage.

Enjoy ~emm

No comments:

Post a Comment