Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Glitter and Glow!
Here were the supplies for this easy project:
A glass jar and a plastic jar. The plastic lid should fit the glass jar. I used a Kraft mayo jar and a Vlasic pickle jar.
One Outdoor Solar Light
12 clear plastic Pony Beads
Art Glitter Fantasy Fiber in Briarwood
Art Glitter Fantasy Film in Dandelion
Art Glitter Ultrafine Opaque Blue Moon 75
Art Glitter Ultrafine Transparent Crystal 85
Art Glitter Ultrafine Pearlescent Glow in the Dark 143
Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear with metal tip
Self Healing Mat
Large Stencil Brush
Distress Ink in any dark color
Skewers for Shish Kebob (6 to 12)
Okay, so here is how to create this project:
1) Remove top of solar light from the pick that goes into the ground
2) Rub Distress Ink around the edge of the solar light and place into the inside of the plastic lid. This will mark the edges of the area you need to cut.
3) Using your craft knife and the self healing mat, cut out the circle you have created. This is how I did it: I made a gentle score in parallel lines in one direction and then again in a 90 degree offset. Then, I scored a diagonal across them I ran over these scores several times until I could remove the triangle. I continued in this manner until I almost covered the area. Then, a used the knife to shave off the extra until I created my circle. Here is a picture of this in process.
5) Place a pony bead onto the edge of the skewer. File down any seams and knock off a little of the shine.
6) Put Designer Dries Clear all around the pony bead. Dip into the Glow in the Dark Glitter. Let dry by placing the skewer upright into the plastic jar bottom. Make 12 of these.
7) Use your Designer Dries Clear to create stars inside the glass jar up near the top. Pour Blue Moon Opaque into the jar. Let dry.
8) Fold some of the Fantasy Film in half and cut out pairs of wings on the fold. These do NOT need to be perfect. Just make them freehand in different sizes.
9) Crinkle and fold up the wing pieces. Pass half of each wing set through the hole in the DRIED beads. You are creating little fireflies. The wing pieces and the fireflies look like the picture below.
11) Use the spray glue to coat the inside of the jar.
12) Pour Crystal Glitter into the jar and dump out. Let dry.
13) When the glue is dry (give it an hour or so to be sure), brush out the excess glitter with the stencil brush.
14) Put a little of the Fantasy Fiber on the bottom of the jar.
15) Pour clear marbles into the jar. As you do, alternate with some of the fireflies.
16) Flip the lid over and click the switch ON for the light. Leave in the sun to charge and use in the evening to light your way.
Check out more from Laura!