Thursday, August 9, 2012

Layers of Layers with Linda

Hi folks! Linda here to share my version of a design I was attracted to the recent issue of Magnolia Ink. I have really fallen in love with all the detail on the cards and projects in the Magnolia Ink magazine. The stamps are cute too, but it’s all the details the artists include that really attract my attention. When you start to break down their projects you realize just how much work goes into each one. The latest issue, No. 3 2012, shows a card that caught my attention so I used the sample as a sketch and created my own card based on its design. I used DCWV Chalkboard Stack for the card base and pattern paper from Colorbok’s Rosewood Pattern Pack. The other is from various papers I have on hand. The fancy edges are cut with Tim Holtz Ornate Alterations die and the hearts are Sizzix Primitive Hearts die (one of my favorites), both cut from white cardstock.
After cutting all the pieces, I distressed some of the edges with my Tim Holtz Tonic Edge Distresser and ran the green cardstock through my Vagabond using the Cuttlebug embossing folder. Then, all the pieces were inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
The hearts were stamped with Wendy Vecchi’s script stamp (LCS038) from Stamper’s Anonymous using Antique Linen Distress Ink.
I ran the hearts through my Xyron 1.5-inch and 2.5-inch Create-a-Sticker makers, face-down so the adhesive is on the front. I ran a stylus around the edges then peeled the hearts up and put them in my bead tray and sprinkled them with Art Glitter Petrified Microfine Transparent Glitter No. 730. Transparent glitter is becoming one of my favorites because whatever is under it will still show through. See the stamped script image showing through – cool eh? It gives it a soft, subtle look with a bit of glitz. The sentiment is stamped on white cardstock using Coffee Archival Ink, edged slightly with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and mounted to the same paper as the card base. To get the ornate edges positioned just so, I ran a strip of my Xyron Mega Runner adhesive on the back edge of my green cardstock and placed the ornate edge in position; much easier than trying to put the adhesive on the thin border strip.
I used a spritz made with Perfect Pearl Sunflower Sparkle and water in a Ranger Mini Mister on the paper flowers to add some shimmer.
  I always assemble my card first before adhering it to the base. I ran the Honeydew Twine through the button and tied a knot (tip: apply a dot of Designer Dries Clear to the krnot so it never comes undone!). I used a 1/8-inch hole punch to make a small hole near the top of the heart and added a piece of Honeydew twine from the Twinery. The hearts are tucked slightly under the center mat and stapled to the background. I layered the pieces and added the pretty bow and ribbon.
  I pierced the flower centers with a brad and used it to poke through all the paper layers, popped the sentiment up with dimensional foam dots and added the butterfly from Want2Scrap.
Then the entire piece was adhered to the card base.
Visit my blog for even more sparkles at!


  1. That is so pretty! I really like it, Thank you for sharing.

  2. Linda, you sprinkled bread crumbs (i mean details) along the path with photo's and made me walk along the path to the lovely card in the garden. Beauty, thanks for sharing the details, Love those hearts with the technique you used.